I’m on my second consecutive snow day (7th total); it’s Friday; and I can still sleep on my belly. Today is a good day! I haven’t blogged in a few weeks, so I thought I’d dust off the old keyboard. Things have been going so well for us lately (aside from an incident this morning with a sink drain that nearly drove me to the brink…), and I have a LOT to look forward to in the next few weeks (months, years, etc.). All that to say, thanks to my growing
belly excitement, we have a lot to do, and I’m tackling it…starting tomorrow when Keith is off work.
1. Our sweet boy has a name!
I’ve always liked older names. I’m not really into super trendy or wild spellings, but Davis is just different enough that I don’t think there will be 12 of them in his class. My dad and his dad both had the middle name Malcolm, and when we started thinking of names, Malcolm just fit so nicely. Bring on the monograms!
2. We actually got snow…not nasty slush! Our most recent round of snow days actually lived up to their name. I’m not complaining about our previous week off, but what we really had was solid sheets of ice and sleet. This time we got beautiful, fluffy snow, and I indulged in the largest bowl of snow cream you’ve ever seen. Ever.
3. I actually (kind of) started on Davis’s nursery. We’ve had furniture for awhile, but we’ve also had lots of other stuff in there. This week we finally got a storage unit to take care of some of our excess and are getting it out! As of now, it doesn’t look that impressive to outside eyes, but to me it looks like a place that might possibly be able to house a baby…instead of hunting gear.
Some notes about this room:
- That rack of hangers used to live in my classroom holding big books (thanks Pinterest). I didn’t have a use for it after I moved to third, so I sold it (six months later) through a Facebook group for a quick $30.
- That bed did have a comforter. I sold it. (Side note: don’t stand still in my house too long; I may sell you on Facebook) Also, I apparently hoard pillows.
- My clothes don’t actually need their own room to dry, but out of sight, out of mind.
- The duck is staying. That green thing in the left corner is a tree made out of a 2x4. It’s also staying.
- The white dresser will be a changing table, and that sweet crib was mine. I love!
4. My floors are incredibly clean! After a few days off in a row, I need things to do. I’ve literally seen every episode of everything ever. My latest big idea was to mop. I use my Swiffer WetJet a lot, but nesting (or craziness) has hit hard, and I was overcome with the incredible desire to scrub. Let me tell you about floor cleaning: it’s very frustrating. I spent far too long Googling ways to clean tile, and then I invented my own method. I took to the floor with a sponge mop soaked in HOT water, vinegar, and blue Dawn and mopped every floor in my house.
After all this, I pulled out a clean white rag (Side note: These are one of my favorite things we registered for. They show you where all your dirt is.), got it a little damp and wiped across the floor to test and see if it was clean. Please guess at what happened next. All that to say, if you want your floors clean, fill a bowl with water so hot it nearly melts your hands and crawl around like a loony using white rags to wipe down every square inch of floor. Change the water often. I counted this as exercise, and it got my floors cleaner than they’ve ever been. Winning.
5. Starting tomorrow, I am officially in my third trimester. What?! I’m not sure where all my time has gone, but that’s close. Also, it’s really far…time is very weird right now. I know that I’ve got about 80-something days left before Davis gets here, but I also know that there are only 50-something days left of school. That’s making time go by SO fast. I need to make a giant checklist and buy all the baby clothes.
I’m going to post again soon with all of my second trimester faves. Note: macaroni and cheese didn’t make quite as much of an appearance this time. I’m hoping by the time I post, I’ll have a little more nursery progress to share. In my mind, it’s totally done. I know exactly what furniture I’m using and where it’s going. The rug is ordered, and I’m on the hunt for baskets and fabric and crib sheets (which are harder to find than one would think).
Happy Friday! Enjoy your snow…or your beautiful spring weather. Send it this way. Now that I’ve had my snow (which I love), I’m ready for a little spring.