New House: The After Living Room

     Today is the day!  I actually took pictures of our fancy new living room and am so excited to share them!  We’re not exactly done with this room, but we are 99% closer than we were.  Before I start, how about a big, fat round of applause for Keith, my DIY, painting hero.

IMG_1469

     We love it.  My sister is the one who starting this navy train rolling.  Her living room is a fun green-ish gold (that sounds ugly, but it is soooo fun), and I needed a bold living room too…because I’m a little sister, and that’s what we do.  I obviously didn’t want the same color, and I couldn’t wrap my head around a bright blue.  We couldn’t do kelly green because of my favorite chair, and yellow was a no because 1. no and 2. yellow looks bad on me.  I was very scared of navy, and the fear didn’t go away until the entire room was done, but I’m in love.  After approximately 568,746,351 paint chips and four samples, we went with Rogue Blue by Valspar. 

IMG_1472

     Like any sane person, I was worried that the blue would be too dark (especially since this room only has one window), but it’s much brighter than I expected.  The vaulted ceiling keeps things from feeling too gloomy, and looking from the front of the room, you can see into the kitchen and dining room which are both very light.  Looking from the other angle, you see the window with light colored curtains.

IMG_1478

     The window isn’t huge, but we cheated its size by hanging the curtains at the edge of the window, so you’re getting the full amount of light through it.  We keep the door open a lot during the day when it’s nice, and the really helps out too. 

IMG_1475

     This is not a true representation of the color; it’s way too dark! The first and second picture are much better, but I wanted to show all angles.  At some point we would love to rip up the carpet and do wood floors in here, the dining room, and down the hall.

IMG_1474

     Making this crazy bold choice has really made this feel like our house.  I like things that are a little different, and my decorating style is definitely my own (I’m not beige.), and this room came together just how I wanted it to.  I’m left to assume that Keith feels just as passionately, because he would not have climbed these walls otherwise.
     Next on my list to blog about is the dining room…another favorite!  You can see it in some of these pictures, but I’ll be back with alllllll the details…sometime.  In the meantime, I’ll be cozied up in my favorite room in the house.

No comments